A collaboration w/ Jil Stifel
This project consists of my collaborator Jil and me performing various versions of the score below*. Jil and I are rarely in the same geographic place (perhaps once a year), but we “meet” in the score at regular intervals, agreeing upon a mutual time to begin. In this way we collaborate across great distances.
Our selves are porous.
We take behaviors from one another, and occasionally memories, rituals, or desires.
We create representations of ourselves that float free from our bodies.
We tend to see ourselves in others.
I have occasionally felt too permeable.
*Score: Solo/1: Dancers find movement convergences
Each solo should take place in a space where your body feels comfortable and free to move. It should also be an energetic location where you feel capable of connecting with your duet partner. Wear anything you want to. Include whatever accompanying sound you like, or move in silence.
- Improvise for 25 minutes while meditating on your image of the other dancer moving.
- Ask yourself: What does it feel like to move as she moves? Which decisions would her body make in this moment?
- This is loosely meditative and requires no significant preparation, like a first meeting.
- Find stillness whenever you feel that you have lost the thread of connection with the other dancer’s logic and have begun to follow primarily your own body. Each time this happens, reconnect to the other dancer in stillness until you are brought back to movement.
- Document your improvisation with video. Please place the camera close enough that your movement fills the entire frame and the viewer can perceive something of your internal experience. Upload your footage.